Saturday, January 31, 2015

Day 13 - Stanley Markets and Top Ten List



We got going early today because we wanted to make it to the Stanley markets on the south side of town. We had heard that the markets here were good and that this area along the water was rather low key compared to other areas in Hong Kong. We took a taxi from Wan Chai (about 30 minute taxi ride). There are numerous vendors here with pretty cheap but nice goods, as well as a few more expensive stores in the area. We enjoyed the shopping and there were definitely fewer people roaming around this area. I have to admit that it was nice for a change to not constantly dodging hundred of people on the street or train! We had a nice lunch- I loved my crab cakes and Rich loved his fish tacos and IPA.


After taking a taxi ride back, I needed a long nap after last night's dancing into the wee hours. (at least for us). I guess even I have my limits! We then traveled to Central district to meet Doug and Suzanne, who are Americans that have lived in Hong Kong for many years. Doug is the brother of one of our Atlanta friends. We met them at the American Club and enjoyed good conversation and food. I have to admit that a good old American cheeseburger served as the perfect comfort food. We really enjoyed meeting Doug and Suzanne, and appreciate their hospitality!

Our plan for the night had been to go back to my second favorite club in Wan Chai (right after the salsa club), Dusk Until Dawn. I want to point out here that I will always remember the name because of a vampire movie by that name that starred a younger George Clooney. But, oh well, let me be honest here – I just did not have the energy tonight. There! I have said it! Rich did find the movie “The World of Susie Wong”, made in 1961 and filmed in our Wan Chai district! It is neat to see how Hong Kong has changed – fascinating!

So we leave to go back to the good old USA tomorrow. Since this will be probably my last blog for the trip, I want take this opportunity to discuss my most memorable and best moments of our Hong Kong journey.

Best food experience: Me – Pierre's – fabulous in every way; Rich – Ho Le Fook and Pierre's

Most Humorous adventure: Hiking the wrong way on Dragon's Back Trail, facing hordes of Japanese tourists coming toward us.

Worst experience: Okay, say it with me ladies: Squat toilets in the mainland!

Now for my “Top 10” list of most memorable and best things about the Hong Kong trip:

Honorable mention: The young, cute Aussie guys at the bars

10- Zumba class with JC – Zumba is the universal language!

9 – Looking for MJ's sequined glove in Macau – Okay, so the exhibit is closed and the glove is now who knows where. It was a fun experience. Don't worry, Allen, I will keep searching. It may be a difficult task, but if it were as easy as One, Two, Three, life would be pretty dull!

8. - Transportation -I do not like to drive -never have. So the idea of being able to get around on trains, buses, walking and taxis totally appeals to me. System works great in Hong Kong.

7 – Shopping – From the expensive Causeway Mall to the cheap street markets, I loved shopping here (and Rich will tell you – I am a shopping expert!)

6 – The flower markets in Kowloon – a flower lover's paradise (that will be my job if we move here!)

5 – The Wan Chai District – We totally enjoyed having an apartment in this area. We were right next to the Grand Hyatt, had good restaurants, and great music and dancing.

4-Peak tram – These are still the most unbelievable views of this beautiful city!

3 – Night views of Hong Kong – Every time I see the gorgeous, lit up skyline at night, I feel like I am in a dream! I always feel energized! (except when I have celebrated too much the night before)

2- Central district and SoHo – I could totally spend every day roaming the streets in Central, and enjoying the vibrancy of the night life. What a fascinating mix of old culture, modern architecture, and people from everywhere!

1 – Finally – The people of Hong Kong- I have such respect for the locals in this great city! They are friendly, helpful, polite, and peaceful. I want to travel to a place where I will feel safe while I am exploring new adventures. I always felt safe here! We have had other recent and former travels where we were constantly looking over our shoulders or pick pocketed on 2 occasions in different cities. I love this city and the people! What a fantastic experience – hope to come back again!


1 comment:

  1. Really enjoyed your Top Ten list. The Aussie guys are likely crying for not cracking the list! Something tells me they were a bit higher! ha! Glad y'all had a great time. Seems like you covered lots of ground. Makes me want to visit that city again one day. Just hope those cute gals will still be at the bar. Travel safely!

    ReplyDelete